Chick Corea first laid eyes on New York’s Greenwich Village in 1959, fresh from high school, with a head full of music that only he could have imagined. With this new release The Musician, recorded in the epicenter of Chick’s original NYC haunts and more than 50 years later, Corea finally brings all that music together at once.
The live 3-CD and Blu-ray set captures Corea’s 70th birthday celebration at the famed Blue Note Jazz Club in 2011, where he assembled a staggering lineup of musical friends and fellow-travelers – among them Herbie Hancock, Bobby McFerrin, Wynton Marsalis, John McLaughlin and Stanley Clarke – for a month-long residency featuring 10 different bands, including triumphal sets by his own Chick Corea Elektric Band and Return to Forever. All of it is captured brilliantly in the first feature-length documentary on Corea’s life, music and genius musical partners. The film takes you inside the heads and “hangs” of some of the greatest artists of our time – backstage and personal – and the CDs capture almost four hours of live recordings of every band.
A superb live document spotlighting Corea in settings that recall the best of his classic albums and proving how remarkably well both he and his music have aged.
- Captain Marvel (Return to Forever Unplugged)
- Light as a Feather (Return to Forever Unplugged)
- I Hear a Rhapsody (The Chick Corea Trio with Gary Peacock and Brian Blade)
- Spirit Rides (The Five Peace Band)
- Special Beings (The Five Peace Band)
- I’ve Got the World on a String (Chick Corea & Bobby McFerrin)
- Spain (Chick Corea & Bobby McFerrin)
- CC’s Birthday Blues (Chick Corea & Marcus Roberts with Wynton Marsalis)
- Caravan (Chick Corea & Marcus Roberts)
- Hot House (Chick Corea & Herbie Hancock)
- Dolphin Dance (Chick Corea & Herbie Hancock)
- Cantaloupe Island (Chick Corea & Herbie Hancock)
- Ritual (The Chick Corea Electric Band)
- Silver Temple (The Chick Corea Electric Band)
- Overture (Chick Corea & Gary Burton with the Harlem String Quartet)
- Your Eyes Speak to Me (Chick Corea & Gary Burton with the Harlem String Quartet and Gayle Moran Corea)
- If I Were a Bell (From Miles)
- Nefertiti (From Miles)
- Zyryab (Flamenco Heart)
- Mi Niña Lola (Flamenco Heart)