The incomparable Chick Corea, known for his genre-defying brilliance, captures the evolution of his adventurous music career with a month-long 70th birthday celebration at New York’s Blue Note, featuring ten different star-studded lineups in more than forty performances.
Fresh off a 70-city, multi-continental tour with Return to Forever IV, Corea returns to Greenwich Village fifty years after his debut on the NYC scene, bringing along a dizzying slate of guests, all of whom have been integral players in his legendary career:
• Return to Forever Unplugged (Clarke, White, Gambale)
• Original Elektric Band (Patitucci, Marienthal, Weckl, Gambale)
• Herbie Hancock
• Bobby McFerrin
• Five Peace Band (McLaughlin, Patitucci, Garrett, Blade)
• Gary Burton with Harlem String Quartet From Miles (Gomez, DeJohnette, Roney, Bartz)
• Marcus Roberts
• Gary Peacock & Paul Motian Trio
• Chick Corea’s Flamenco Heart (Josele, Benavent, Pardo, Ballard, Buika)
WHO: Chick Corea & guests
WHERE: Blue Note, 131 W. 3rd St, New York, NY 10012
WHEN: November 1-27, 8pm and 10:30pm shows
TICKETS: $45 – $85, http://www.chickcorea.com/blue-note-nov-2011
A “keyboard giant” and 17-time Grammy winner, Corea remains relentlessly creative as a composer and performer and is more prolific than ever. In 2011, his most productive year yet, he held a gala performance of his compositions with the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, released three new albums, recorded his second concerto (due out early 2012), and reassembled his supergroup Return to Forever IV for the biggest jazz tour of the year.